Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Ball -Type Chapati

I have to share this incident that happened at home with my 3yr old daughter. She was down with viral fever doing the rounds and I was struggling to get some food into her system. I gave her many safe choices (the bland, non oily variety that one eats when sick) and made them sound exotic and interesting. She listened to me quietly, without batting her eye lids. At the end of the menu narration, she softly purred that she wanted to eat 'poori'.

I was stunned! We hardly ever made poori at home, and as far as I know, she has never ever tasted 'poori'. I asked her what a 'poori' is? She said its ball-type chapati which is crisp on the top but nothing inside. I was pretty impressed at her imaginative description. I asked her if she had ever eaten one? She replied that her teacher aunty had given her 'poori' (she goes to school that serves snacks). SO there-I had got my answer! That's where my lil girl had got a taste of ball-type chapati!

Eager to get some food into her antibiotic filled system, I quickly made what she wanted. She happily munched on crisp pooris.

It amazes me how much children observe, retain information, relate them to something they are more familiar with and finally describe it in the correct context.

3 comments:

Sangeeta Ananth said...

Yep.Very true! And thanks for asking...she's back on her feet now.:)

Rebus said...

The joys of witnessing a life bloom.

Gud to know she is up & running :)

Sangeeta Ananth said...

@rebus - Thanks :)